A genius inventor has gone missing, and you need to finish his monstrous experiments before the thunderstorm ends, OK? Oh, don’t mind that severed hand…
- Location: Margate
- Players: 2 to 8
- Attempted: October 2018 as a team of 2
Great things about Frankenscape
- This monster room came with a monster serving of fun and laughter. We liked the balance of spooky and silly. There are a few moments in the game that might make you jump, but it’s not a room with a particularly menacing feel overall.
- Frankenscape has a time limit of 90 minutes, rather than the usual 60. This longer play time comes with lots of content to fill it, and with a larger group there would be plenty of scope for splitting up to work on different puzzles according to your strengths. As a pair it took us over an hour to escape – if you’re a speedy biscuit and you’re fed up of getting barely half an hour’s play out of standard length escape rooms, this would be a good one for you to try.
- The structure of the game is coherent without being too linear, and there’s a good build of momentum to a thrilling climax.
- The theming was generally well-executed and effective, creating a Victorian scientist’s laboratory with lots of interesting elements to explore and use.
- The team who received us at CTRL ALT ESC, introduced the room and took care of us throughout were fun, friendly and seemed to truly enjoy their work.
On the other hand…
- Although Frankenscape was mostly well-themed, there were a couple of incongruous elements that seemed out of place in a gothic horror environment. They didn’t take away from the enjoyment of the game, but they jarred a little and detracted from the immersion.
Who should try this room?
Frankenscape was loads of fun and we think almost anyone would have a great time – plenty of space for bigger groups too. Worth the trip if you’re not local!
Rating – 9/10